Wednesday, April 15, 2009

YAY!

After finally giving up on the hope I was going to get a call with a job offer, I finally got one today! Ok, it's not my "dream" job, but it's a well paying one and it's working with kids so how can I complain? Oh, the job? It's at one of the Child Development Centers here on base (we have like or 4 so I had to ask the lady to specify which one exactly she was calling from!) and they said I'll start with about 30-hours of work a week and then possibly get a full-time position. She said I had just "a little" bit of related experience and giggled at her sarcasm. She made me promise not to take any offers is any of the other CDCs called me while HRO does all the background checks and paperwork within the next week (gotta love the middle man causing everything to take just THAT much longer).

Before I got the call, I decided to go to one of the elementary schools on base (our base alone has 4 elementary schools... craziness!) and they pretty much told me I'd done everything I really could and the only other thing I could do was apply to be a teacher-aid or tutor. I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'd want, but at least it'd be in the school... I'll have to think about it. In an ideal world, I'd love to take this job at the CDC and work over the summer and magically get a call saying I'd been selected for a teaching job at one of the schools on base for the next school year. Some people might wonder why that sounds so hard... it's because the DoDDs schools specifically hire people from the states to teach at the American overseas schools. They get really great incentives and probably (if I were them at least) stay for quite some time reaping all the benefits of their teaching job. It's difficult to get into DoDDs schools and it's all politics, but I've met some people who know some "people" so hopefully I can get my name out there!

Okay I just realized most of you probably don't care much about any of this but bottom line is I finally got a job and I'm just excited to have some work!!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very exciting friend!! I am very veyr happy for you! It seems like everyone is finding work when they least expect to! Good luck with the DoDD's schools too! They don't know what they are missing! :)