She shooed it away with a box and it looked as if it was a mouse. I was informed later on by my neighbors it was a baby shrew... it was only about 3-4 inches long and was really skinny so I was thinking before I knew what it was that it was a goofy looking mouse. Anyway, my neighbor said they grow to be pretty big (like the size of a rabbit) and they run around the neighborhood all the time.
Well, the little creature didn't learn its lesson the first time and crept back into the backyard. All I heard was that horrible squeaking sound and when I got out there the dogs had already killed it. They didn't eat it (thank goodness) but we chalked it up to they must of thought it was a toy... just like their furry squeaky toys!!! They have so many toys that squeak and look like some kind of animal, we unknowingly trained them to be rodent killers.... plus not to mention it's in Kella's nature to go after little animals (she is a hunting dog).
For those of you wondering what a shrew is... here ya go. Just another creature encounter we've had here on the island! 


No comments:
Post a Comment