Joe and I were out walking Ty and the pups, and we were chatting more about our upcoming move. We'e been trying to plan how to get the dogs back to the states. It's quite a headache. Most airlines implement a heat restriction policy when trying to fly pets back during the summer. If temps are over 85 degrees, they won't fly your pet. Well, we're flying out in July and it will be well above 85 degrees in Okinawa by then. So we need to send them back early.
We didn't think much about what we would do after we left AL (we're going there for SOS) and I'll be staying with my parents a few hours away. So Joe has about 1 week inbetween SOS and reporting to training in NM. We had planned to go to a wedding. That cuts out 2 days. So 5 days to drive from AL to NM with two dogs and an 18 month old. Yikes, cutting it close. Okay, we could handle that. THEN what we do when we get to NM? Check into a TLF? Joe will be in training all day long during the week. Just how am I supposed to juggle two hyper dogs and an 18 month old? Won't happen. They need a yard so I don't get yanked around when they're on their leashes (and walking them with a stroller is impossible).
My original plan was to travel to see my best friend who is a few hours away. Well scratch that, can't do that with two dogs in tow. I also wanted to head to Las Vegas to house hunt. Well, what do I do with two dogs? If Joe was with me and wasn't in training, we could easily do it.
What to do? I suppose I could always stay with my parents while Joe is in training. It would be a lot easier. But they went from having an empty nest, then to having both kids at home, a grandbaby, and two extra dogs. Talk about a full house and big changes!
I posted an ad to see if we could find any good homes for our dogs. It's heartbreaking, but I figure I don't have to commit to anyone if we decide to keep them. Is it fair to them to be bounced around with no home for 6 months? Will we be able to juggle them, the baby, and flying across the world, and then driving across country?
Time will tell... and now just a whole new can of worms to handle!
Finish #17
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment